Copernicus reprocessing coordinator h/f
What you’ll be doing
· Coordinating internally with other EUMETSAT divisions to plan reprocessing campaigns, considering processing infrastructure and scheduling, data access and long term preservation;
· Manage technical implementation, execution and completion of the planned reprocessing campaigns, including support of related scientific product validation and considering the work schedule amongst external support contracts and internal EUMETSAT resources;
· Implementing reprocessing campaigns internationally with partners (e.g. ESA, NASA, NOAA);
· Understanding and collating needs and requirements from customers (e.g. Copernicus services), assessing implementation feasibility and, from this, guiding the prioritisation of the product portfolio;
· Maintaining and updating the EUMETSAT Copernicus Reprocessing plan, covering the next 5 years of planned activities for large scale processing work on Copernicus satellite data;
· Assisting with the development of new capabilities, tools and improvement of (cloud-based and/or local) infrastructure;
· Supporting all relevant reporting requirements for Copernicus reprocessing.
· A university degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Software or Systems Engineering or another relevant discipline.
Skills and Experience:
· Demonstrable experience in the coordination and planning of multi-party activities, integrating scientific and engineering contributions;
· Ability to derive common requirements from a broad range of expressed needs for remote sensing applications in Earth observation;
· Familiarity with processing chains for Earth Observation and relevant technical computing experience (e.g. one or more of: Linux, Python, C/C++, Fortran, Go, bash, cloud computing);
· Experience with large-scale reprocessing using batch computing (ideally High-Throughput Computing) and commodity Linux clusters;
· Strengths in analysis, synthesis and presentation of complex problems and solutions;
· Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, combined with a proven ability to work within a team and to lead cross-organisational activities.
EUMETSAT is Europe’s meteorological satellite agency - monitoring the weather and climate from space - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
We are currently looking for an experienced Reprocessing Coordinator to join our international team of young and inspiring engineers and industry professionals, tasked with driving innovation within the Space, Satellite and Earth Observation sector, specifically on the EU’s Earth observation ‘Copernicus programme’.
This role is rooted in the mission of EUMETSAT and will provide the opportunity to work with leading IT, Space and Earth Observation organisations and domain experts to make a positive impact on society!
EUMETSAT operates a series of Copernicus Sentinel satellites on behalf of the European Commission, providing data used to monitor various components of the Earth System. For specific applications, such as climate monitoring, a consistent time series needs to be built from a number of instruments covering the whole mission lifetime, of which each dataset must be of the highest quality. This quality is achieved by means of data reprocessing to use the best algorithms and most up-to-date data. The work is often coordinated internationally and requires internal collaboration and planning between scientists and engineers.
The Copernicus Reprocessing Coordinator will plan, coordinate and implement mass data processing activities for Copernicus mission data, including interactions with the community of users on their needs. The successful candidate will work within the Climate Team of the User Support and Climate Services Division, which produces reprocessed data records, has strong experience in data processing and holds the coordination role for EUMETSAT’s reprocessing activities.